On a Sunday, I was going out to brunch with my family & I didn’t know what to do with my hair. I wanted to do a topknot bun and I also wanted to do a braid, I couldn’t decide between any of the two so this is when I came up with the idea to incorporate both styles into one; do a messy braided bun and enjoy the best of both worlds! 🙂 After posting this picture on Instagram I got a lot of compliments and requests for a tutorial! So FINALLY, here it is you guys! In only16 Easy steps and in less than 10 minutes you can achieve this easy, messy braided bun look, which can be used for both casual and formal occasions. Just in case the pictures aren’t clear enough I have also included the written steps below.
Messy Braided Bun Steps:
1. Spray some dry shampoo all over your hair, especially your scalp. If you do not wash your hair everyday or have greasy hair this will give your hair a fresher look. This step is optional.
2. Comb through all of your hair and make sure you have no knots, then part your hair the way that you like; all to the back, down the middle, or to the sides. (Here I parted my hair all to the back.)
3. With a hair tie make a low ponytail.
4. Step 3 should look like this when done.
5. Right above the hair tie with your index finger and thumb hold a small opening and then grab your ponytail and bring it in through the opening you have made.
6. Tighten the hair tie by pulling gently on your hair.
7. After you are done with steps 5 and 6 this is what your hair should go looking like.
8. Do a classic braid. Once you master this look try it with different braid styles! 😉
9. Tie the braid at the end with a rubber band.
10. This is how your hair should be looking like now.
11. Hold your braid up and start rolling it going down towards your scalp.
12. Continue to roll your braid until it looks like a bun.
13. Once you are done rolling your braid your hair should look like this.
14. Hold your braided bun with bobby pins, to keep it from falling.
15. Add finishing touches with hairspray. (Optional)
16. You are all done, now go take a selfie! 🙂
Make sure to tag me on Instagram @newyorkpetite or #messybraidedbun if you try this messy braided bun look; I would love to see how it turns out! I hope you guys enjoyed this tutorial. Have a great weekend, and make sure to wear this look out to brunch! 😉 – XO